USA: Dairy Farming: A Labor of Love
As the nation honors its work force this Labor Day, America's dairy families will be working just as they do every day to bring fresh, wholesome dairy products to the consumer, according to Dairy Management Inc. and the National Milk Producers Federation.Dairy farming is a labor-intensive occupation, and producing such a wholesome product does not come without manpower. More than 94,000 families milk and care for 9.2 million dairy cows every day, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). Through the efforts of the American dairy farmer, the United States has become the world's leader in cows' milk production, providing nearly 18.3 billion gallons of milk each year, reports USDA.These efforts do not go unnoticed. In a Roper Starch Worldwide consumer survey conducted earlier this year, nearly three-quarters of Americans recognize the value dairy farmers bring to their communities. In fact, 74 percent of respondents believe dairy farmers make significant contributions to society; only teachers (89 percent) and doctors (88 percent) ranked higher. Dairy Facts in Honor of Labor Day
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- B&G acquires pasta sauce group Victoria Fine Foods
- Japan's Nagatanien buys Chaucer Food Group
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund