UK: ABF acquires Dorset Cereals
ABF acquires Dorset Cereals for GBP50m
Associated British Foods is understood to have entered an agreement to acquire up-market cereal brand Dorset Cereals.
An industry source said that the deal - which is yet to be confirmed by the company - remains subject to regulatory approval.
ABF is said to have agreed to pay current owner Wellness Foods GBP50m (US$83.8m) to secure the brand.
Speculation emerged at the beginning of April that Wellness could be preparing to sell the business.
While Welless did not confirm that it had put Dorset on the block, the company did reveal that it had received interest from a number of companies. ABF, Bright Food controlled Weetabix and Kellogg were touted as potential suitors for the brand.
ABF did not immediately respond to requests for comment this morning.
ABF has been working to improve the fortunes of its grocery business. The company started to see profits at the unit improve in the back half of last year and, in its most recent trading update, ABF booked a 100 basis point margin improvement and 3% sales rise for the first half of this year.
Commenting on the rumours, Panmure Gordon analyst Graham Jones told just-food that the Dorset Cereals brand was a good buy for the company.
"I think Dorset is a great brand, with good growth potential and will be an excellent fit with ABF's existing Jordan's brand. I understand sales are circa GBP40m and as such the rumoured price represents a very good price."
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Kellogg Company - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offering...
Baring Private Equity Asia has struck a deal to buy 40% of UK-based cereal group Weetabix....
Canadean's "Kellogg Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a ...
UK-based Associated British Foods Plc (ABF) has established a foothold in most regional markets, but its sales are significantly biased towards developed markets. Combined, developed markets accounted...
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Greek crisis: The impact on shopper behaviour
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Hearthside to buy nutrition bar maker VSI
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- Probiotic Ingredients Market by Function, Application, End Use, Ingredient, and by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020