UK: ABF gets aggressive to secure international presence
Following swiftly on the posting of Associated British Foods' (ABF) largely stable full year results, CEO Peter Jackson has revealed the group's plan to embark on an aggressive expansion, with the intention of becoming a dominant global player in the food ingredients sector. Analysts admitted that the results were "not terribly amazing." Restructuring costs of £130m caused a dent in the £4.41bn sales (up 2% from 1999), and pre-tax profit fell by £52m to £273m. Jackson revealed, however, that the group had made £140m since the beginning of 2000 and "we don't want the cash to just sit there." Jackson explained: "We've got some bloody good businesses [and] we do want to change the growth footprint of the company. It's not going to be difficult to spend [the money]. It's irrelevant whether these companies have their head offices in Paris or the US; we want to have a strong international presence."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- The promise of fledgling Czech gluten-free market
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review