UK: ABF secures Premier Co-op bread contract
The agreement includes the supply of Kingsmill, Allinson and Burgen bread across Co-operative's 4,000 stores
The contracted, confirmed today (25 October), will take effect from the "middle part" of 2013, ABF's Allied Bakeries said.
The Co-op said the decision to switch supplier was the result of a "full review".
Mike Osmond, commercial director for The Co-op, said: "The switch to Allied will ensure that we continue to provide our customers with the very best own-label bread, made from 100% British wheat, at a competitive price, and that we can maintain high levels of availability, quality and value across our entire bread and mornings goods range.
"Whilst we have enjoyed a good working relationship with [Premier's] British Bakeries over a number of years, the move to Allied Bakeries has been made in the best interests of our customers and members."
The retailer said suppliers such as Warburtons, and regional bakeries such as Roberts Bakery and Braces Bakery, will continue to supply the group.
Premier announced the end of its contract with an unnamed UK retailer earlier this week. It said the contract accounted for around GBP75m of annual sales but would "not affect" its 2012 performance.
ABF said the new deal is expected to create new jobs in its supply chain to enable it to service the additional stores.
"It will also further consolidate Allied Bakeries as a leading supplier in the bakery market and is testament to the strength of our brands, the quality of our products and technical expertise as well as the strength and depth of our offer," the group said.
Fonterra is ranked in the top 20 among dairy players. However, this is due for the most part to its strong presence in Australasia. The company is looking to diversify, investing in a China-based dair...
Dairy in Philippines industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). The profile also contains descrip...
Dairy in Australia industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). The profile also contains descripti...
Qatari investment vehicle Hassad Foods has bought a majority stake in Indian food supplier Bush Foods Overseas....
- BRICs and beyond: Fonterra, Beingmate partnership
- On the money: Mengniu hones in on "star" brands
- Comment: Competition to rise on whey investments
- just-food interview: Agropur CEO Robert Coallier
- Consuming issues: The hunger-obesity paradox
- Valio lactose-free trucks stopped at Russia border
- Heinz halves sugar in ketchup launch
- H1 profits down at dairy group FrieslandCampina
- Bisco Misr says Kellogg eyeing majority stake
- UK firm Pasta Reale enters administration
- China - ISA Country Report
- New Strategies for offering Convenience in Food - targeting new occasions, best practice and new solutions
- Other Dairy in Russia
- David Chapman's Ice Cream Ltd in Packaged Food (Canada)
- Global Food and Grocery Retailing, 2013-2018: Market Dynamics, Retail Trends and Competitive Landscape