UK/IRELAND: ABP fingers McAdam in horse meat scandal
ABP Food Group has implicated meat importer McAdam Food Service as the supplier responsible for providing it with ingredients contaminated with horse meat.
ABP owns the Silvercrest processing facility, which has been at the centre of a horse meat scandal after frozen beef burgers sold through various retailers in the UK and Ireland were found to contain undeclared horse DNA. Grocers including Tesco, The Co-operative and Aldi have since delisted Silvercrest.
According to Irish food safety officials, the horse meat originated in Poland.
In a statement today (6 February) ABP said: "Silvercrest purchased Polish beef products from McAdam Food Service. It appears now that, while Silvercrest purchased these beef products in good faith, horse DNA originating in Poland was present in some of these products."
According to the company it purchased 170 tonnes of beef from McAdams, out of a total 180,000 tonnes of beef processed at the facility in 2012.
"ABP Food Group continues to co-operate fully with the competent authorities in the investigation," the group added.
UK snacks firm New York Delhi has secured a listing with Australia's largest retailer Woolworths Ltd but the company insists it is aiming to grow without "selling out" to the large supermarket chains....
- Why Arla upbeat about LatAm prospects
- M&A Watch - Could Cloetta be takeover target?
- Comment: Can Applegate retain trust under Hormel?
- How the Applegate acquisition will benefit Hormel
- Sweets & Snacks Expo: just-food's pick
- Yildiz eyeing further deals - reports
- PAI, Pamplona "eyeing Bakkavor stake"
- Weetabix gets new private-equity investor
- Heinz, Boulder face off in Smart Balance TM spat
- FrieslandCampina ends Bongrain German tie-up
- Successful New Product Development Strategies in the Food, Drinks and Personal Care Market
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- The Future of the Ice Cream Market in the United Kingdom to 2019
- Consumer Foodservice in Indonesia
- Marks & Spencer (Asia Pacific) Ltd in Retailing (Hong Kong, China)