UK/IRELAND: ABP fingers McAdam in horse meat scandal
ABP Food Group has implicated meat importer McAdam Food Service as the supplier responsible for providing it with ingredients contaminated with horse meat.
ABP owns the Silvercrest processing facility, which has been at the centre of a horse meat scandal after frozen beef burgers sold through various retailers in the UK and Ireland were found to contain undeclared horse DNA. Grocers including Tesco, The Co-operative and Aldi have since delisted Silvercrest.
According to Irish food safety officials, the horse meat originated in Poland.
In a statement today (6 February) ABP said: "Silvercrest purchased Polish beef products from McAdam Food Service. It appears now that, while Silvercrest purchased these beef products in good faith, horse DNA originating in Poland was present in some of these products."
According to the company it purchased 170 tonnes of beef from McAdams, out of a total 180,000 tonnes of beef processed at the facility in 2012.
"ABP Food Group continues to co-operate fully with the competent authorities in the investigation," the group added.
UK snacks firm New York Delhi has secured a listing with Australia's largest retailer Woolworths Ltd but the company insists it is aiming to grow without "selling out" to the large supermarket chains....
As the low-price leader in grocery retailing, discount grocery retailer Aldi takes a “less is more” approach. The company keeps costs down by carrying a limited assortment of grocery items, building s...
Since its relatively recent arrival in Spain market, Aldi has maintained its focus on a strong expansion strategy. The only year in which the company slowed down its programme of new outlet openings w...
An unprecedented growth story is unfolding, as austerity bites across the west and food price inflation will filter through into higher retail prices next year. One retailer that stands to benefit hug...
- M&A Watch: Raisio should sell to private equity
- Infographic: Snapshot of Japan's food sector
- On the money: Solid Lindt outpaces chocolate peers
- Spotlight: What could be impact of Russia's ban?
- On the money: Hain expects continued organic gains
- Russian government eases ban on food imports
- Pork Farms buys Kerry Group's pastry plants
- Kerry cools claim spreads move could hit jobs
- Profits up at chocolate group Lindt
- Japan's Sanyo takes stake in Olam's food biz
- New Strategies for offering Convenience in Food - targeting new occasions, best practice and new solutions
- David Chapman's Ice Cream Ltd in Packaged Food (Canada)
- Global Bakery & Cereals Market: Merger and Acquisitions May 2014
- Colombia - ISA Country Report
- Food Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide