UK/IRELAND: ABP fingers McAdam in horse meat scandal
ABP Food Group has implicated meat importer McAdam Food Service as the supplier responsible for providing it with ingredients contaminated with horse meat.
ABP owns the Silvercrest processing facility, which has been at the centre of a horse meat scandal after frozen beef burgers sold through various retailers in the UK and Ireland were found to contain undeclared horse DNA. Grocers including Tesco, The Co-operative and Aldi have since delisted Silvercrest.
According to Irish food safety officials, the horse meat originated in Poland.
In a statement today (6 February) ABP said: "Silvercrest purchased Polish beef products from McAdam Food Service. It appears now that, while Silvercrest purchased these beef products in good faith, horse DNA originating in Poland was present in some of these products."
According to the company it purchased 170 tonnes of beef from McAdams, out of a total 180,000 tonnes of beef processed at the facility in 2012.
"ABP Food Group continues to co-operate fully with the competent authorities in the investigation," the group added.
UK snacks firm New York Delhi has secured a listing with Australia's largest retailer Woolworths Ltd but the company insists it is aiming to grow without "selling out" to the large supermarket chains....
As the low-price leader in grocery retailing, discount grocery retailer Aldi takes a “less is more” approach. The company keeps costs down by carrying a limited assortment of grocery items, building s...
Since its relatively recent arrival in Spain market, Aldi has maintained its focus on a strong expansion strategy. The only year in which the company slowed down its programme of new outlet openings w...
- Deal or no deal: Frozen sale makes sense for Kerry
- JBS sees big opportunity from Primo Smallgoods
- Interview part 1: BRF CFO Augusto Ribeiro
- Comment: Why Gardein is Pinnacle's ideal fodder
- BRICs: The thinking behind Mondelez's Vietnam deal
- Danone, General Mills, Chobani "mislead parents"
- Kellogg trumps Abraaj bid for Bisco Misr
- Kerry puts frozen food unit on block - reports
- United Biscuits UK plant to start strike action
- Wrigley opposes Perfetti Van Melle "WTF" TM