QATAR: ACP countries get unopposed go-ahead to apply to renew banana export privileges
Major banana producer Ecuador has agreed not to oppose a request from African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) countries that their export privileges to the EU are renewed.
The current round of trade talks at the WTO ministerial conference in Qatar faced potential disruption over the banana issue. A group of banana exporting countries from Central American had threatened to challenge the renewal of the exemption, which enables ACP nations to benefit from preferential treatment by the EU.
A WTO official revealed: "The question has been resolved."
- Does Kraft Heinz want to swallow Unilever whole?
- Focus: Nestle CEO plan to balance sales, earnings
- Will Kellogg's DSD exit help it grow in US snacks?
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Is Mondelez's margin target hurting sales?
- Nestle plans restructuring as 2016 profit misses
- Kraft Heinz pursuing Unilever in takeover move
- Kraft Heinz returns to organic growth, ups margins
- Danone eyes efficiency, agility with new structure
- General Mills issues profit warning