US: Acquisitive Post Holdings swoops for Michael Foods
Michael Foods latest deal from Post Holdings
Post, which has made a number of acquisitions in the last two years, has struck a deal to buy Michael Foods from affiliates of private-equity groups GS Capital Partners, Thomas H. Lee Partners and other owners.
The move follows Post's deals in sectors including pasta and sports nutrition and will further diversify the Grape Nuts owner away from its core breakfast cereal business, which operates in a stagnant sector in the US.
There had been speculation in recent days that Post was close to an agreement with Michael Foods' owners. US meat group Tyson Foods was also said to be interested in the business.
Post described Michael Foods, the owner of brands including Papetti's eggs and Crystal Farms cheese, as a "leading producer of value-added food products".
The company said Michael Foods, acquired by GS Capital Partners for $1.7bn in 2010, "holds leading market positions in attractive categories including value-added egg products, refrigerated potato products and cheese and other dairy case products". Post said Michael Foods had seen its "adjusted EBITDA" increase at a compound annual growth rate of 5.3% since 2008.
Bill Stiritz, Post's chairman and CEO, said: "This acquisition is exactly what we look for in an investment."
Michael Foods CEO Jim Dwyer, who is set to stay on with the company, said: "We believe our business will benefit from Post's portfolio management approach of effectively and efficiently investing in profitable growth and margin expansion."
Before moving into Goldman Sachs' hands, Michael Foods was owned by affiliates of Thomas H. Lee Partners for seven years. Thomas H. Lee Partners kept a 20% stake in the business.
Click here for editor Dean Best's take on the recent M&A activity in the US food sector.
Post Holdings, Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offe...
Synopsis Canadean's "Michael Foods Group, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contai...
Project Synopsis: MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity unde...
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Soda draws fire from food in Mexico obesity battle
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Ajinomoto "eyes acquisitions in Europe"
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019