US: ADM, Cargill to answer "false" corn syrup advertising claims
A US court has ruled agribusiness giants Archer Daniels Midland and Cargill must answer allegations of false advertising for high fructose corn syrup (HFCS).
Sugar producers accused the companies of trying to "conceal the truth" about HFCS with a national ad campaign about the ingredient.
A court in Los Angeles has ruled ADM, Cargill, plus Tate and Lyle plc and Corn Products International, have to answer the claims.
The sugar farmers' suit has targeted advertising that claimed HFCS is "a natural corn sugar" that "your body can't tell the difference" between the ingredient and common table sugar.
Co-lead attorney for the sugar farmers, Adam Fox of Squire Sanders, said it was an "important win for all American consumers, as well as my clients".
"Judge Marshall's ruling clears the way to allow this lawsuit to proceed so that we can assure an end to the false advertising and make the agribusiness giants behind it answer for their misconduct," Fox said.
The Corn Refiners Association, however, which includes the accused as its members, said the decision was "solely about who is included in the lawsuit". It said the ruling has "no bearing on the merits of the case which are about ensuring that consumers get the facts regarding high fructose corn syrup".
ADM declined to comment on the case and Cargill could not be reached for comment.
Cargill has secured a deal to acquire two animal feed mills from the bankrupt Pennfield Corporation in the US for US$9.8m....
Commodity trader Glencore has said it wants to be a "true leader" in global grain trading after completing its acquisition of Viterra in a deal worth US$6bn....
US agribusiness Archer Daniels Midland has sold its stake in Gruma back to the Mexican group....
Australian agribusiness giant GrainCorp has rejected Archer Daniels Midland's latest takeover bid for the company....
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Soda draws fire from food in Mexico obesity battle
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Hearthside to buy nutrition bar maker VSI
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019