US: ADM cost-cutting drive leads to job losses
Job cuts needed for ADM to "continue to compete effectively", says CEO Woertz
Archer Daniels Midland has followed its fellow US agribusiness giant Cargill and announced a swathe of job cuts to drive down costs.
The company said it needed to cut costs to stay competitive. Around 1,000 employees worldwide will be affected, ADM said. It hopes the cuts, as well as other "targeted cost reductions" will save it US$100m a year.
"To ensure that we can continue to compete effectively in our global markets, we are taking actions to streamline our organization and achieve significant, sustained cost reductions," ADM chairman and CEO Patricia Woertz said yesterday. "These actions will help us enhance our productivity and earnings power."
In November, ADM reported mixed financial results for the first quarter of its financial year. Its net earnings were up by a third but its operating profit fell 6% as the company saw its oilseeds and corn operations come under pressure.
In ADM's most recent financial year, which ended on 30 June, net income increased by more than 5%.
Last month, Cargill said it would cut 2,000 jobs around the world, citing the "continued weak global economy".
On Tuesday, the company reported a 88% drop in second-quarter profits, its worst quarterly performance in a decade.
US sugar refiner Imperial Sugar, which earlier this month agreed to a takeover bid from Louis Dreyfus Commodities, has reported higher half-year losses....
Archer Daniels Midland's (ADM) third-quarter earnings dropped 31% on the back of lower ethanol prices and weak European oilseed results, the company said today (1 May)....
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Gen Mills uses NPD, renovation to heat soup sales
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities