US: ADM cost-cutting drive leads to job losses
Job cuts needed for ADM to "continue to compete effectively", says CEO Woertz
Archer Daniels Midland has followed its fellow US agribusiness giant Cargill and announced a swathe of job cuts to drive down costs.
The company said it needed to cut costs to stay competitive. Around 1,000 employees worldwide will be affected, ADM said. It hopes the cuts, as well as other "targeted cost reductions" will save it US$100m a year.
"To ensure that we can continue to compete effectively in our global markets, we are taking actions to streamline our organization and achieve significant, sustained cost reductions," ADM chairman and CEO Patricia Woertz said yesterday. "These actions will help us enhance our productivity and earnings power."
In November, ADM reported mixed financial results for the first quarter of its financial year. Its net earnings were up by a third but its operating profit fell 6% as the company saw its oilseeds and corn operations come under pressure.
In ADM's most recent financial year, which ended on 30 June, net income increased by more than 5%.
Last month, Cargill said it would cut 2,000 jobs around the world, citing the "continued weak global economy".
On Tuesday, the company reported a 88% drop in second-quarter profits, its worst quarterly performance in a decade.
US sugar refiner Imperial Sugar, which earlier this month agreed to a takeover bid from Louis Dreyfus Commodities, has reported higher half-year losses....
Archer Daniels Midland's (ADM) third-quarter earnings dropped 31% on the back of lower ethanol prices and weak European oilseed results, the company said today (1 May)....
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- How local model protects Nestle - interview
- Brexit sparks uncertainty for UK food - comment
- Quorn Foods confident in prospects - interview
- Kellogg uses Kashi to finally join party - comment
- Nestle names new CEO
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Brexit – UK farmers warn of food price spike
- Brexit – US confirms commitment to TTIP with EU
- Healthier food a major opportunity for food makers
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016