AUS: ADM moves for talks on GrainCorp buyout
Agricultural giant Archer Daniels Midland has taken a 10% stake in Australian grain trader GrainCorp and approached the company to open "discussions over a potential transaction".
In a letter to the Australian Securities Exchange today (19 October), GrainCorp requested a halt to trading in its shares under Listing Rule 17.1. The company asked that the trading halt should last until next Tuesday.
In the letter, company secretary Andrew Horne said GrainCorp has "received no formal proposal".
"Should GrainCorp receive a proposal from ADM, the board will review the proposal as well as other options to maximise value for GrainCorp shareholders," Horne said.
Located in Sydney, the Australian firm has two trading offices in China: Beijing and Singapore. Reports have liked ADM's interest in GrainCorp to its ambition to expand in Asia. ADM was unavailable for comment at time of press.
ADM is a global force in the market for ingredients derived from agricultural sources. Its business is centred around products derived from oilseeds, corn, cocoa and wheat, and includes both commodity...
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Vegetable Oils in Thousand Metric Tons by the following Product Segments: Soybean, Olive, Canola, Sunflower & Safflower, Corn, Palm, Coconut, and Others....
- Why data is key to shopper satisfaction
- Interview: Premier sets sights overseas
- On the money: Spreads, ice cream top Unilever woes
- Sustainability Watch: Roberto Ciati, Barilla
- Short-termism decides Chiquita's future
- Hovis CEO Spooner leaves bread maker
- Glanbia chairman to step down
- General Mills to launch "Ancient Grains" Cheerios
- Kellogg earnings beat forecast but sales pressured
- Hershey lowers FY sales, earnings forecasts
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Supermarkets in China
- Pubs & Bars in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Consumer Trends Analysis: Understanding Consumer Trends and Drivers of Behavior in the Chinese Confectionery Food Market
- Kerry Group plc - SWOT, Strategy and Corporate Finance Report