US: ADM "optimistic" despite H1 profits drop
ADM saw its net profits drop by US$537m to $540m in the six-month period
US agribusiness giant Archer Daniels Midland (ADM) said it remains optimistic about the long-term fundamentals of its business, despite booking a drop in first-half and second-quarter profits today (31 January).
ADM saw its net profits drop by US$537m to $540m in the six months to the end of December. The company blamed "ongoing weakness in global oilseeds margins, lower results in corn and poor international merchandising results".
The company's segment operating profit slid by 53% to $1.01bn. Sales in the period, however, climbed by 19.9% to reach $45.2m.
In the second quarter, net profits plummeted 89% to $80m, while segment operating profits dropped by $1.05bn to $309m. Sales in the period, however, grew by 11.4% to $23.3m.
"We continue to execute our plan to drive shareholder value: prioritizing capital projects, implementing productivity measures and returning capital to shareholders through increased dividends and share buybacks," said ADM's chairman and CEO, Patricia Woertz.
The chairman of private-equity firm Arle Capital Sir George Buckley is to join PepsiCo's board of directors....
Archer Daniels Midland's (ADM) third-quarter earnings dropped 31% on the back of lower ethanol prices and weak European oilseed results, the company said today (1 May)....
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Greek crisis - The impact on shopper behaviour
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Mitsubishi buys stake in Olam International
- Unilever claims victory in Becel dispute
- KitKat to go sustainably sourced cocoa only
- Arla strikes JVs in Nigeria and Senegal
- Arla H1 profits down on milk price slump
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Biscuit Manufacturers (UK) - Industry Report
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Cakes, Pastries & Sweet Pies Market in Egypt: Market Profile to 2017