UK: ADVANCE/Nutritionist Credits Americans' Penchant for French Fries to Helping Prevent 'Outright Scurvy in this Country'
A leading professor of nutrition attributed Americans' penchant for French fries to helping prevent "outright scurvy in this country." Paul Lachance, Ph.D., of Rutgers University stated in the current (June) issue of Reader's Digest New Choices that, "Twenty percent of Americans don't get the current RDA of vitamin C each day....If we didn't have French fries, there would be outright scurvy in this country because potatoes are the second leading source of vitamin C in the American diet." Lachance and other nutrition experts believe that most adults over age 50 should get between 200mg and 250mg of vitamin C daily though the RDA is between 75mg and 90mg. Vitamin C is especially important because it's an antioxidant, explains nutritionist Chris Rosenbloom, Ph.D., a spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association. Antioxidants help neutralize free radicals, which have been implicated in the development of cancer, heart disease, and a host of other ailments. "Vitamin C may also play a role in preventing cataracts and macular degeneration," she says.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Farmers' groups slam Danone over non-GMO stance
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review