JAPAN: Aeon plans to integrate brands
According to unconfirmed reports in the Japanese press, Japan's top supermarket operator Aeon Co. is to integrate its three supermarket subsidiaries under the Aeon brand as part of efforts to rebuild its struggling domestic business.
Aeon Retail Co., the Chiba Prefecture-based operator of Jusco brand stores, Mycal Corp., the Osaka-based operator of Saty brand stores, and Aeon Marche Co., will be integrated by next Febuary according to the Japanese media reports.
The consolidation of personnel and accounting operations would help cut the Aeon group's overall costs by JPY50bn a year, it said. The retail giant is struggling, with sales for Aeon Group falling 3% to JPY2.52trn and operating profit plummeting 39% to just JPY35.4bn last year.
- Mondelez results and outlook - 7 things to learn
- just-food's pick: Innovation on show at ISM 2016
- Can dairy-free Flora lift Unilever spreads sales?
- Foodservice focus: McDonald's/Five Guys/Starbucks
- Talking shop: Wal-Mart overhaul, Lidl's US charge
- Mars to cut artificial colours from global foods
- Arla eyes job cuts as part of 2020 growth push
- Chobani targets growth after rejecting offers
- Private-equity firm HKW acquires Panos Brands
- Kerry Group launches Pure free-from meals in UK