INDONESIA: Aeon to launch Ministop in Indonesia
Aeon has signed an accord with PT Bahagia Niaga Lestari for the roll-out of the Ministop stores
Japanese retailer Aeon has announced plans to launch its Ministop convenience store network in Indonesia.
Aeon has signed an accord with PT Bahagia Niaga Lestari, a local retail unit of Udinda Co, to enable the roll-out of the stores, it said last week.
Under the contract, the first store will open in Jakarta by the end of February 2013, and Aeon estimates this will reach around 300 stores by February 2018.
Aeon hopes that the move will enable it to capitalise on the growth of the middle class and urbanisation in the market. The company predicted the number of middle income consumers in Asian countries will double to about 2bn by 2020 and the number of people living in urban areas to grow by 400m to 2.2bn in a decade.
The Ministop store format will offer products that meet local preferences, the retailer said.
Aeon's Ministop convenience chain currently operates in China, South Korea, Vietnam and the Philippines. Ministop has 2,124 stores in Japan.
Organic Food in Asia-Pacific industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). The profile also contains...
Organic Food in Japan industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). The profile also contains descri...
French retail giant Carrefour has denied reports it is in talks with Hong Kong-based China Resources Enterprise about a potential partnership deal in the Chinese retail sector....
- M&A Watch: Why Danone/Lifeway deal could be next
- Shopper trends: Some confidence but promos popular
- just-food's pick: Natural Products Expo top 10
- Sustainability Watch: WhiteWave Foods
- DATA: The just-food international basket - Q2 2014
- Premier Foods revamp creates three divisions
- Burton's "eyeing" United Biscuits merger
- General Mills Q1 profits tumble
- Unilever to boost presence in Nigeria
- Sales, operating profit up at Quorn Foods