THE PHILIPPINES: Aggressive drive for expansion planned by Delhaize Monte Pacific
Martin P. Lorenzo, vice-chairman of Philippines-based Del Monte Pacific has revealed the company's aggressive drive for global expansion. Last year, while its Del Monte Philippines unit posted sales of P6.08bn and an income of P259.6m, Delhaize Monte Pacific dominated local markets for canned juice and fruits, spaghetti and tomato sauce. Lorenzo told BusinessWorld that the US$200m generated by last years' public offering on the Stock Exchange of Singapore would be used to buy-up complementary food-related firms worldwide. "We're very patient and prudent in looking at acquisitions outside of the Philippines in both the brand side and the production side. We're very strong already in the markets that we're serving so looking at acquisitions here may not really add value." In the meantime, Lorenzo added that "we always welcome investors to invest directly," although now "our focus is to see if they want to take large positions in Del Monte Pacific, then we would have to work together with them. But we're open as long as they are of strategic value."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Does Kraft Heinz want to swallow Unilever whole?
- Focus: Nestle CEO plan to balance sales, earnings
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Why Reckitt Benckiser moved for Mead Johnson
- Is Mondelez's margin target hurting sales?
- Kraft Heinz pursuing Unilever in takeover move
- Kraft Heinz pulls Unilever bid
- General Mills issues profit warning
- Kerry Group staff in Ireland suspend strike action
- Kerry operating earnings strengthen on slow sales