NETHERLANDS: Ahold acquires Belgian foodservice leader from Compass
The Dutch supermarket giant Royal Ahold has announced today (3 October) that its foodservice unit Deli XL has acquired Mea-De Wilde De Loore, a Belgian market leader previously controlled by the UK catering Compass Group, part of Granada Compass.The Belgian company supplies a huge range of products to institutional customers, and grosses annual sales of around €100m. The takeover is expected to boost sales at Deli XL to more than €900m. In terms of sales, Ahold is the sixth largest supermarket chain in the world and Mea-De Wilde De Loore, based in Charleroi, represents "further attractive growth opportunities." The deal is a demonstration of Ahold's ever-increasing presence in the food services, a market worth €4.5bn that focuses on food eaten outside the home. Earlier this year, acquisition deals were completed on the companies US Foodservice and PYA/Monarch.Ahold believes that the deal will also mean "rapid progress" in areas such as IT, product development and new services.To read their press relese
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- B&G acquires pasta sauce group Victoria Fine Foods
- Japan's Nagatanien buys Chaucer Food Group
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund