US: Ahold, A&P face strike action in New York
US supermarket's Stop and Shop, King Kullen Markets and A&P are facing the prospect of strikes in New York state.
The grocery workers union United Food and Commercial Workers Union Local 1500, New York state's largest grocery workers union, said it has begun warning local authorities of action.
A potential strike could affect over 150 supermarkets and 16,000 workers, the union warned in a statement.
"With a contract expiration date of June 26th, any potential job action could affect the 4th of July weekend for hundreds of thousands of customers," it said.
"We have a responsibility to inform the public and local law enforcement that you could see a widespread strike throughout the Five-Boroughs, Long Island, Westchester, Putnam and Dutchess Counties," said Patrick Purcell, spokesperson for UFCW Local 1500. "A strike in the supermarket industry will have a serious impact on communities in multiple ways. We intend to partner with elected officials and law enforcement to minimise the inconvenience."
A strike could be avoided if the companies would come to the table with respect for their employees and bargain in good faith," Purcell continued. "All they have talked about is cutting health benefits, cutting pensions, wage freezes, etc."
The start of the week saw a flurry of a retail news, with confirmation of A&P's move into Chapter 11 protection in the US and Wal-Mart Stores' decision to close its office in Russia. Later in the week...
Belgium-based retailer Delhaize has announced that it is opening a new chain of Shop & Go convenience stores in Romania....
Food ingredients group Danisco lifted its full-year profit target today (16 December) after booking a jump in second-quarter earnings....
UK retailer Marks and Spencer will open its third store in Shanghai this week....
Swedish confectionery company Cloetta has booked an increase in first-quarter profits, as sales were boosted by more marketing and product development. ...
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Farmers' groups slam Danone over non-GMO stance
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review