HORSEMEAT: Ahold, Metro Group pulls horsemeat products
Metro said its Real grocery chain pulled its frozen TiP Lasagna Bolognese from its shelves on Friday (8 February) as a "precaution" after it was notified of concerns by the manufacturer. It has since tested positive to containing horsemeat.
"This measure is a precaution, since there was at no time a health risk to consumers. Nevertheless the product is not enough the quality demands of Real," a spokesperson for Metro told just-food today.
The company said it is working closely with suppliers, supervisory authorities and ministries to take all necessary measures to ensure none of its products contain horsemeat.
Meanwhile, Dutch retailer Ahold has confirmed its Euro Shopper frozen lasagna bolognaise, which was sold at its Albert Heijn stores in the Netherlands and Belgium, contained horsemeat.
"As soon as we learned the results of the investigation, we started a recall of the product," a spokesperson for the group said.
Ahold said the supplier, as named on its packaging, is Tavola, a company linked to Comigel, a French firm at the centre of the scandal.
Findus last week admitted its frozen lasagnes on sale in the UK - made by Comigel - contained up to 100% horsemeat. It has recalled products on sale in the UK, France and Sweden. Retailers across Europe have pulled Findus and Comigel products.
Following the creation of a joint venture between Findus, Ardo and Borduelle in 2011, Findus began distributing and carrying out all marketing activities of the brands “Frudesa”, “Salto” and “Findus” ...
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- just-food's pick: Natural Products Expo top 10
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits