US: Ahold to embark on Giant Food revamp
Ahold is planning to revamp around 100 Giant Food supermarkets in the US.
The Netherlands-based retail giant said it would "remodel or replace" outlets in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, and Washington DC.
The three-year plan, dubbed Project Refresh, is Ahold's largest investment in the Giant Food business since acquiring the operations in 1998.
"The remodeling programme underscores our commitment to continuing to be the supermarket of choice in these markets," said José Alvarez, president and CEO of Ahold's Stop & Shop/Giant-Landover stores.
The revamp will focus on improving Giant's perishable food sections and modernising the stores to improve customer convenience.
Rising profits from ingredients helped offset a fall in earnings from meat production at Netherlands-based Vion Food Group in 2007....
Ahold has struck a deal with private equity group CVC for its stake in fellow Dutch retailer Schuitema....
US grocer Stop & Shop has pulled a range of soy sprouts from its shelves amid a possible listeria scare....
Ahold has remained tight-lipped on rumours that it wants to retain shares in Dutch retailer Schuitema after the unit is sold....
Workers at US retailers Giant Food and Safeway have secured improved four-year contracts....
Dutch retailer Schuitema has confirmed it will sell 56 stores to Ahold as part of its larger rival's plans to sell its majority stake in the business....
A strong performance at home has driven a 6.7% rise in annual profits at Ahold, the Netherlands-based retail giant....
Nordic supermarket group ICA posted strong quarterly and annual profits today (20 February), shrugging off a meat packaging scandal that hit the chain's Swedish stores last autumn....
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- How Tyson's new CEO plans to grow the meat group
- Mondelez goes beyond certified cocoa - analysis
- Nestle unveils process to cut sugar by 40%
- Unilever sets new margin target with help from ZBB
- Unilever focuses on "value" of spreads arm
- McCormick to buy flavours business Enrico Giotti
- Amnesty - Global brands profit from labour abuses