USA: Ahold/Peapod - getting the green into the black - COMMENT (Members)
Ahold will invest an additional $119.3 million in US online grocer Peapod. The announcement highlights the rocky status of the online grocery sector, following high profile closures such as Webvan. However much funding it provides, Ahold will not see returns from Peapod unless it has a viable business model and disciplined management. Closer integration between Peapod and Ahold's supermarkets will be vital.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Column: Kraft Heinz, Unilever and sustainability
- Unilever 'lining up spreads sale'
- UK own-label firm Park Cakes sold in MBO
- Kraft Heinz cuts jobs in US, Canada
- Immigration crackdown "risk" for US dairy industry
- BRF plant suspended amid bribery allegations