JAPAN: Ajinomoto FY profit climbs, sales slide
- Net profit climbs 59%
- Operating profit falls 14%
- Net sales slide 1%
Ajinomoto reiterated its fiscal 2013 sales forecast and upped its profit forecast
Japanese food maker Ajinomoto has recorded an increase in full-year profits but saw sales declines in all divisions except its domestic food unit.
Earnings in the 12 months to the end of March amounted to JPY15.3m (US$190.7m), a 59% increase on the prior year period. This was driven by an extraordinary gain of JPY27.7bn on the return of a "substitutional portion of the welfare pension fund", it said today (5 November).
Operating income, however, fell 14% in the period to JPY36.8bn, while sales slid 1% to JPY598.8bn as a result of a "challenging" food environment and high ingredient prices.
In the group's domestic food products business, sales increased 2% to JPY226.5bn, due to growth in sales of seasonings, processed foods, and frozen foods. Sales in all other divisions, however, fell.
Ajinomoto reiterated its fiscal 2013 sales forecast of JPY1.22tr and operating income forecast of JPY73.50bn. The firm upped its net income forecast to JPY47bn from JPY44bn previously.
Retail and foodservice in packaged food account for significant sales of Ajinomoto in Brazil of 35%. The company continues to rely on the tradition of the Ajinomoto brand among consumers with monosodi...
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- Emerging markets online: India's food retail scene
- Tootsie Roll CEO Melvin Gordon dies at 95
- McCain to close Grobbendonk plant in Belgium
- Food industry news of week: Unilever, PepsiCo
- Chobani launches Tots infant range
- Jobs to go at FrieslandCampina cheese plant
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Meat Substitutes Market - Global Trends, Forecasts up to 2019