USA: Alabama Firm Recalls Chicken Salad For Undeclared Allergen
Mrs. Stratton's Salads, a Birmingham, Ala., firm, is voluntarily recalling approximately 5,400 pounds of chicken salad because it contains the food coloring "F.D.&C. Yellow #5", which is undeclared on the label, the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service announced today."F.D.&C. Yellow #5" food coloring is a known allergen. Persons who have an allergy or severe sensitivity to the food coloring run the risk of possible allergic reactions if they consume this product.The product being recalled is 7 oz., 12 oz., 24 oz., and 5 lb. cups of "Mrs. Stratton's Chicken Salad." Each cup has a sell-by date of "Aug. 6," "Aug. 11," or "Aug. 12" on the bottom, and "P-395" appears inside the USDA seal of inspection.The chicken salad was produced on June 26 and 27, and distributed to retail stores and institutions in Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, Nashville, Tenn., and the Florida panhandle area."FSIS wants consumers to be aware of the recall," said Thomas J. Billy, administrator of FSIS. "We urge consumers to check their refrigerators and freezers and not to eat the product if they have that allergy and return it to the point of purchase."No illnesses associated with consumption of the product have been reported to FSIS. Anyone concerned about an illness should contact a physician immediately.The problem was discovered by the company, which informed FSIS.Consumers with questions about the recall may contact George Bradford at (205) 940-9640. Media with questions about the recall may contact Vance Fulkerson at (205) 940-9640.Consumers with food safety questions can phone the toll-free USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline at 1-800-535-4555. The hotline can be reached from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Eastern Time), Monday through Friday, and recorded food safety messages are available 24 hours a day.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Hochdorf expands in Africa with Pharmalys buy
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review