USA: Albertsons to open discount stores in September
US grocery retailer Albertsons has said it plans to begin opening new discount stores in September.
The company plans to open five Super Saver stores in Dallas and two in Baton Rouge, La. The seven stores are to be converted from regular Albertsons stores from 26 August, reported Dow Jones News.
"These Super Saver stores represent the official launch of a new price impact initiative," chief executive Larry Johnston was quoted by Dow Jones as saying. "This new price impact format coupled with our traditional format will serve the needs of a broader range of food and drug shoppers in many markets across America."
Mike Clawson, president of Albertsons' discount subsidiary, said the company plans to expand the Super Saver chain rapidly through acquisitions and new store development.
The on-again, off-again sale of Albertsons has given retail analysts pause for thought. In the age of deep discounts yet selective extravagance, what must a midmarket grocer do to prosper? David Rober...
With the takeover battle for the US's number two supermarket, Albertsons, stepping up a gear, the rival factions should consider the fate of a recent food industry merger in the UK before committing t...
According to a report by the Associated Press, Cerberus Capital Management has said that Robert Miller will take on responsibility for the remaining Albertsons stores in the role of Albertsons' CEO on...
The sale of retail group Albertson's to SUPERVALU, CVS, and a consortium led by Cerberus Capital has cleared regulatory approval by the FTC following the expiry of the pre-merger waiting period requir...
Sold food store Albertsons has bowed out of 2005 with total yearly sales of US$40.4bn compared to $39.8bn last year and a comparable store sales increase of 0.4%....
A consortium consisting of Supervalu Inc., CVS Corporation and an investment group led by Cerberus Capital Management, L.P., has agreed to acquire Albertsons, Inc., the food and drug stores group, for...
Talks surrounding the takeover of Albertsons Inc have broken down, according to a US press report....
The Israel-America Chamber of Commerce has established a food, beverages, and consumable committee to help Israeli food companies market their products in the US....
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- Emerging markets online: India's food retail scene
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Food industry news of week: Unilever, PepsiCo
- Tootsie Roll CEO Melvin Gordon dies at 95
- Chobani launches Tots infant range
- Monde Nissin "to acquire Menora"
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Meat Substitutes Market - Global Trends, Forecasts up to 2019