INDIA: Amul US venture starts production
Amul said US venture will start shipping branded lines next month
India's Amul Dairy has started production in the US under its manufacturing and packaging arrangement with local firm Summit Milk Products.
"We are already supplying ghee [clarified butter] and paneer [cottage cheese] to bulk consumers like Indian restaurants and temples," Rahul Kumar, managing director of Amul, told just-food.
Kumar said branded products will start shipping next month from the facility created by Summit especially for Amul.
The plant in Waterloo can produce 250 tonnes of ghee, 100t of paneer and 20t of shreekhand [sweet strained yoghurt] per month, though initial total production will be only half that.
Amul will target the large Indian population on the East Coast of the US and Chicago, Kumar said. Canada and exports to Europe could be on the agenda longer-term.
Amul ghee and cheese have previously been available in the US as imports but, Kumar said "demand is increasing fast and with this new facility we can also supply fresh products like [milk-based drink] lassi paneer, curd, yoghurt and even liquid milk".
The report provides a review of the latest news and key events in the global dairy food market during September 2014....
Dairy food refers to food products produced from milk sourced primarily from cows, goats, sheep, yaks, horses, camels, and buffaloes. They are usually considered as high energy-yielding food products....
Confectionery comprises of chocolate, sugar confectionery, and gum. Cocoa and sugar are the raw materials for chocolate and latex is the raw material used for gum. Many new varieties of confectionery ...
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Comment: Tread carefully over payment terms
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits