INDIA: Amul US venture starts production
Amul said US venture will start shipping branded lines next month
India's Amul Dairy has started production in the US under its manufacturing and packaging arrangement with local firm Summit Milk Products.
"We are already supplying ghee [clarified butter] and paneer [cottage cheese] to bulk consumers like Indian restaurants and temples," Rahul Kumar, managing director of Amul, told just-food.
Kumar said branded products will start shipping next month from the facility created by Summit especially for Amul.
The plant in Waterloo can produce 250 tonnes of ghee, 100t of paneer and 20t of shreekhand [sweet strained yoghurt] per month, though initial total production will be only half that.
Amul will target the large Indian population on the East Coast of the US and Chicago, Kumar said. Canada and exports to Europe could be on the agenda longer-term.
Amul ghee and cheese have previously been available in the US as imports but, Kumar said "demand is increasing fast and with this new facility we can also supply fresh products like [milk-based drink] lassi paneer, curd, yoghurt and even liquid milk".
The report provides a review of the latest news and key events in the global dairy food market during September 2014....
Dairy food refers to food products produced from milk sourced primarily from cows, goats, sheep, yaks, horses, camels, and buffaloes. They are usually considered as high energy-yielding food products....
Confectionery comprises of chocolate, sugar confectionery, and gum. Cocoa and sugar are the raw materials for chocolate and latex is the raw material used for gum. Many new varieties of confectionery ...
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Foodservice focus - all-day breakfast; concept NPD
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Premier Foods adds to Bisto range
- PepsiCo to close Australia crisps plant
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis