UK: Arla Milk Link price cut "bitter blow"
News that Arla Milk Link is cutting its farmgate milk price will come as a "bitter and unacceptable" blow to its farmer suppliers, the National Farmers Union has warned.
Arla Milk Link, which was formed following the acquisition of Milk Link by Arla Foods, announced this week it is reducing the price it pays for milk by 0.23 ppl in order to offset fluctuations in currency exchange.
Responding to the move, NFU dairy board chairman, Mansel Raymond emphasised that the price cut comes at a time when farmers are already struggling with rising production costs.
"We urge Arla Milk Link to urgently seek ways to further mitigate against the damaging short-term effects of the transitional milk pricing formula, on these already beleaguered farming businesses," he commented.
The NFU said it is seeking "urgent discussions" with Arla Milk Link.
The rapidly expanding Chinese food sector has long been a focus for multinationals looking beyond developed western markets for expansion. However, it isn't just the international food Goliaths - with...
Danone is to make another attempt to tap into the booming demand for fresh dairy products in China. The French food group is teaming up with Chinese dairy giant Mengniu, the largest yoghurt producer i...
China Mengniu Dairy Co. is expected to announce it has struck a deal to acquire a controlling stake in local infant formula firm Yashili International Holdings. ...
Adams Foods has moved its Mu cheese brand into the milkshake category with a launch in Tesco....
Arla Foods has insisted there is "no conflict" between its venture with Mengniu and the Chinese dairy's planned new partnership with Danone....
- Analysis: Is Heinz, Kraft merger "a growth story"?
- McDonald's antibiotics move may be seminal moment
- M&A Watch: Who could be on 3G Capital's radar?
- Viewpoint: Faber-led Danone gets realistic
- The challenges awaiting ConAgra's new CEO
- UPDATE: Heinz, Kraft strike merger agreement
- Kraft "in buyout talks" with Heinz owner 3G
- Fatal explosion at French desserts firm Senagral
- Infographic: Heinz, Kraft unveil combined business
- Buffett: Kraft Heinz to withstand health focus