UK: Arla to sell Milk Link asset for EU merger approval
The European Commission has approved a merger between Arla and Milk Link, creating the largest dairy group operating in the UK, the two companies announced today (28 September). However, Arla must sell Milk Link's milk drinks business, based at Crediton, due to competition concerns in the UK's long life milk sector.
Milk Link's Crediton dairy produces all of Milk Link's long life milk, long life cream, extended shelf life milk and flavoured dairy drinks and fresh bulk cream. Arla already has its own long life milk business.
Until Crediton is sold, it will be separated from the combined Arla, Milk Link business. "Arla has undertaken to preserve the economic viability, marketability and competitiveness of the business," said Arla today.
Following EU approval, Arla is set to complete its merger deal by 1 October. The deal extends Denmark-based Arla's reach in a key market. It already processes around 2bn litres of milk per year in the UK. This was set to rise by 50% after the Milk Link deal, although this estimate pre-dates news of the milk drinks unit sale.
In May, on announcing the deal, Arla Foods UK's CEO, Peter Lauritzen, said: "Arla has a strong record of investing in facilities and brands in the UK. Together we will be able to offer British retail and foodservice customers with a full range of high quality dairy products from a single, secure, source, making us an even more attractive partner for British retailers."
Financial details of the deal have not been disclosed.
Growing competition for space in key emerging markets appears to have convinced Arla Foods that it needs to act now if it is to secure a market for its milk supplies beyond 2015....
In a week of results from major retailers, Carrefour cheered the market with improvement in France, upmarket UK grocer Waitrose highlighted its strong year and Belgium's Delhaize insisted its business...
Arla Foods has initiated a recall of its Mauri branded Gorgonzola cheese after tests detected low levels of Listeria monocytogenes....
FrieslandCampina has requested the European Commission's approval to acquire Mywo Food Group-owned cheese specialist Zijerveld & Veldhuyzen and its packaging unit Den Hollander Food....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities