JAPAN/CHINA: Asahi eyes Chinese baby formula sales
Japan's Asahi Breweries has announced its subsidiary, Wakodo Co., has started selling two brands of its baby formula in China.
Known mostly for brewing beer, Asahi is expanding its overseas operations and is hoping to attract Chinese consumers concerned about the provenance of domestic baby formula and weaning foods following the melamine contamination scandal.
"We opened our first baby milk production factory in October near Shanghai and will be aiming to sell our milk and weaning products in similarly high-earning economic development areas," a Wakodo spokesperson told just-food.
"The market for powdered milk in China is growing quickly owing to recent dramatic lifestyle changes there, improving the sales of high-priced baby milk markedly."
Wakodo aims to achieve sales in China of JPY700m (US$7.3m) next year by shifting at least 48,000 boxes of its infant formula.
It's been a rocky few months for Fonterra, the New Zealand dairy giant and the world's largest dairy exporter....
American Dairy has posted an "exceptional" growth rate for the first-quarter with increases in net income and sales....
A carcinogenic protein derived from leather has been found in milk products made by a Chinese dairy....
New Zealand dairy giant Fonterra has confirmed that it intends to triple its milk exports to the Chinese market during the current fiscal year....
Liquid milk producer China Mengniu Dairy reportedly plans to invest in expanding its raw milk production in China this year....
China Mengniu Dairy Co. said today (16 April) that the business swung into the red last year due to the fall-out from the contaminated milk scandal that rocked the industry last autumn....
Fonterra has shaken up the management team behind the dairy giant's business in China....
China's dairy industry is set to see further foreign investment this year, despite risks over poor food safety, leading Chinese analysts have predicted....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review