JAPAN/MALAYSIA: Asahi to buy Etika dairy assets
Asahi has been looking to expand in south-east Asia
Japanese food and beverage giant Asahi has struck a deal to buy a range of dairy assets in south-east Asia from Singapore-listed Etika International Holdings.
Etika said today (10 April) Asahi would pay US$328.8m for businesses in Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam and Indonesia.
Asahi is known for its namesake beer but also operates in spirit-based beverages, soft drinks and food. Its food assets include infant nutrition unit Wakodo.
The Japanese group had been looking to expand its business in south-east Asia and gain a foothold in Malaysia's beverage market.
Asahi said condensed milk was "deeply rooted" in Malaysia's "food culture". Etika sells condensed milk under the Dairy Champ and Goodday brands.
Etika claims to be "one of the world's largest manufacturers and distributors of sweetened condensed milk" and "a leading player in the regional food and beverage market".
As well as dairy, Etika is involved in the wholesale and distribution of frozen and chilled foods. It manufactures "value-added" frozen food, bakery and confectionery products and is a marketer of sports nutrition and weight management food supplements, manufacturing of tin cans and quick-service restaurants. It has facilities in Malaysia, New Zealand, Indonesia and Vietnam.
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- New food waste standard will help monitor progress
- Kellogg uses Kashi to finally join party - comment
- Tyrrells' growth plans - CEO interview, part two
- How could a TTIP affect the food industry?
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Kellogg to invest in "next-generation innovation"
- Post, ConAgra 'held talks' over Lamb Weston merger
- R&R Ice Cream names Daniel Martinez new CFO
- Mars takes UK chocolate brands into trail mixes
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights