UK: Asda delists Hovis in small stores over supply "problems"
Asda said Premier was “having problems” delivering to its supermarket format stores
A spokesperson for Asda told just-food today (3 December) Premier was "having problems" delivering to its supermarket format stores and the retailer therefore decided to "use two other suppliers that could".
In a statement the retailer said: "Our strategy has been to move to a clear two supply bread brands in supermarkets which are Warburtons and Kingsmill. Farmer's Loaf didn't perform well with customers so it came out as part of a range change."
Premier, which last week announced that some 900 jobs are to go as part of a range of measures to reshape its bread business, said it would not comment on the de-listing.
The company plans to close two bakeries, cut over 100 distribution routes and revamp its logistics operations in a bid to cut costs from its bread arm.
Premier, operating in a UK bread sector dogged by promotions and excess capacity, is trying to shake up its bread business to cut costs and improve returns.
Asda said it is "committed to working with [Hovis] as one of our key bakery suppliers".
US breakfast cereal group Post Holdings kicks off a relatively quieter week of results with its half-year numbers on Monday. On Tuesday, meat giants Marfig and JBS will report on how it fared in the f...
Plum Organics this week joined Happy Family and Ella's Kitchen as three organic baby food brands set to have new, multinational owners. Campbell Soup Co. is to buy Plum, joining Danone and Hain Celest...
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Global factors hold sway over UK milk prices
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Greencore expands UK, US sales
- Yildiz prepares to list dairy arm AK Gida
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits