UK: Asda ends contract with Vion's Welsh Country
Asda confirms termination of Welsh Country Foods conbtract
Vion has warned it could be forced to close a Welsh Country Foods facility in Angelsey after the loss of a contract to supply Asda. According to the group, Asda accounts for around 50% of the site's business. Around 350 jobs would be lost if the facility is closed.
Asda has faced criticism from unions representing Welsh Country workers. The retailer said earlier this week it had entered into "constructive" talks over the decision following a boycott call from the Unite union.
However, this morning the supermarket group said its decision to end the contract stood.
"We have taken time to review Welsh Country Foods' challenges to the termination of its contract. Unfortunately, our decision to end our supply relationship remains. We appreciate how disappointing this news will be for Welsh Country Foods but we want to reassure everyone that this decision was not taken lightly," a spokesperson for the group said.
The spokesperson emphasised Welsh lamb would still be available at Asda stores and revealed the new contract has been awarded to Dunbia, whose facilities are based in Llanybydder in Carmarthenshire.
"While we have decided to end our supply relationship with Welsh Country Foods, we look forward to working with Dunbia so we can continue to help support the Welsh lamb industry and its farmers."
In November, Dutch food group Vion announced plans to quit the UK. The company has put its businesses in the country up for sale and the group's pork unit has been sold under an MBO.
Bernard Matthews Farms has admitted it may look for outside investment and 2 Sisters Food Group is reportedly considering a bid for the business. Industry watchers believe the UK food giant is the pri...
Karro Food Group is proposing to cut slaughter and butchery operations at its Wiveliscombe facility in Somerset, putting 113 jobs at risk....
Irish food processor ABP Food Group has revealed an investment plan for premium sausage brand Debbie & Andrew's to include additional product lines and a new advertising campaign....
UK cooked and frozen meat products manufacturer Snowbird Foods is to be sold in a management buy-out....
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Soda draws fire from food in Mexico obesity battle
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Why Flowers Foods organic bread deal is a killer
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Ajinomoto "eyes acquisitions in Europe"
- Hearthside to buy nutrition bar maker VSI
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Chocolate and Chocolate Candy Manufacturing Industry (U.S.): Analytics, Extensive Financial Benchmarks, Metrics and Revenue Forecasts to 2022
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report