UK: Asda introduces rechargable gift voucher card, abandons paper vouchers
UK supermarket giant Asda has abandoned paper gift vouchers, replacing them in all 250 stores with a hi-tech, rechargeable, everlasting electronic gift card.
The credit-card sized gift card is already in use in the US at Asda's parent company, Wal-Mart, where it is one of the retailing giant's biggest selling items.
Asda explained that customers can buy the cards in three designs at any till or customer service desk, for any amount between £1 and £500, which is electronically loaded.
The company also insisted that the gift cards are "far more shopper-friendly than the paper vouchers"; being everlasting (they can be re-loaded with additional sums) fraud-beating (deactivated easily if lost or stolen) and flexible (for full or part payment).
Customer service director Sally Hopson said: "Our new 'everlasting' gift card really takes the hassle out of choosing the right present."
Wal-Mart's UK supermarket chain Asda has announced that it will switch 500,000 hens from battery cages into open barns by 1 May by changing the way in which it sources standard own label, fresh eggs....
Wal-Mart's UK supermarket chain Asda, is considering a bid for supermarket Somerfield, according to the Sunday Telegraph newspaper....
Wal-Mart Germany has cut prices of more than a thousand articles in its stores, some of them by over 20%....
Not content with pocketing one in every three pounds spent on groceries in the UK, the supermarket giant Tesco has now become the first British retailer to smash the £2 bn ($3.78bn) profit barrier. Ho...
US retail giant Wal-Mart Stores Inc, says it will open two outlets in Beijing this year, and at least one more store next year, according to an Asia Pulse report....
UK Supermarkets import a much higher proportion of organic pork than is the case with conventional supplies, according to organic food lobby group the Soil Association....
Overall US produce sales are soaring, but supermarkets are still losing market share to Wal-Mart, according to government figures....
UK supermarket Sainsbury grew faster than Wal-Mart's Asda in the twelve weeks to 27 March 2005, the first time that has happened for ten years, according to figures from market researchers TNS....
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Global factors hold sway over UK milk prices
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Greencore expands UK, US sales
- Yildiz prepares to list dairy arm AK Gida
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits