UK: ASDA Issues Warning to Europe Over Pork Exports
Following yesterday's decision by the EU to ban the export of live English pigs, ASDA today announced that a long-term European ban of British pork meat would force it to respond.ASDA has promised that if the ban on live pig imports extends to British pork meat across the board, it will source nine Belgian pate lines from British producers instead."We rely on a healthy UK pig industry to keep ASDA shelves stocked with British pork and pork products. Yesterday's announcement puts this future in the balance." said ASDA's trading director, Mike Coupe, "We will make this move in support of pig farmers who, should the ban be extended to pig meat, will need immediate support to ensure their businesses have a future."ASDA has pledged to source fresh and processed pork products as long as UK producers can supply the quantity and quality of pork it needs. All ASDA Brand fresh pork, pork pies, pork ready-meals, deli-bacon, sausage rolls, sausages, cooked meats (deli and pre-packed), takeaway meals, rotisserie gammon joints and pork on sale in ASDA restaurants is British.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Comment: Premier has more to ponder than Brexit
- Trump seen as negative for global food trade
- 2017: food policy hotspots in the UK, EU and US
- The food market in 2017 - consumer trends and M&A
- Analysis: B&G Foods balancing growth and decline
- Weetabix takeover talk gathers pace
- Nestle mum on Mead Johnson takeover talk
- Unilever rebrands I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
- Mondelez sells Vegemite to Bega
- Kellogg to slash 250 jobs