UK: Asda pulls more beef burgers
UK retailer Asda has removed additional beef burger products from sale after horse meat was found in storage at one of its suppliers, Freeza Meats.
As part of its ongoing investigation following the detection of undeclared horse meat in beef burgers, the Food Standards Agency announced yesterday (6 February) that it has found a "quantity" of frozen meat that contains 80% horse meat. The agency said the meat was "detailed in a cold store" belonging to a company called Freeza Meats in Northern Ireland.
A spokesperson for Asda confirmed today the retailer has removed four burger products from sale in light of the news as a precautionary measure.
"Asda sources four frozen burger products from Freeza Meats in Northern Ireland. It's important to note that both the local EHO in Northern Ireland, and our own independent DNA tests have come back free of any trace of horse meat," the spokesperson emphasised.
"Although all the science says there is no trace of horse in our burgers produced by Freeza Meats, we can't and won't take any chances when it comes to the authenticity of ingredients in our products."
Asda has not delisted Freeza Meats, but the retailer has instructed the group to "segregate and hold" any frozen burger products in production or currently in the supply chain that are destined for Asda.
UK snacks firm New York Delhi has secured a listing with Australia's largest retailer Woolworths Ltd but the company insists it is aiming to grow without "selling out" to the large supermarket chains....
Morrisons, the UK's fourth-largest grocer, is to test new management structures in seven stores it plans to open later this year....
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Foodservice focus - all-day breakfast; concept NPD
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis