UK: Asda sees "constructive" talks after Welsh Country Foods boycott call
Asda has insisted that talks with worker representatives at Welsh Country Foods have been "constructive" after the workforce called on consumers to boycott the supermarket operator this weekend.
Welsh Country Foods, the lamb processing unit of Vion Foods, said that it could be forced to close its Angelsey facility after the loss of a contract to supply Asda.
According to the group, Asda accounts for around 50% of the site's business. Around 350 jobs would be lost if the facility is closed.
Unite union members gathered outside Asda supermarkets in Llangenfi, Bangor and Holyhead on Saturday (26 January) to call for a boycott of the retailer.
Responding to the protests, a spokesperson for Asda told just-food that the group is "considering" the union's position.
"We had a constructive meeting with Welsh Country Foods," the spokesperson said. "We listened to their representations to which we will give full and thorough consideration and respond in due course."
Bernard Matthews Farms has admitted it may look for outside investment and 2 Sisters Food Group is reportedly considering a bid for the business. Industry watchers believe the UK food giant is the pri...
Karro Food Group is proposing to cut slaughter and butchery operations at its Wiveliscombe facility in Somerset, putting 113 jobs at risk....
Irish food processor ABP Food Group has revealed an investment plan for premium sausage brand Debbie & Andrew's to include additional product lines and a new advertising campaign....
UK cooked and frozen meat products manufacturer Snowbird Foods is to be sold in a management buy-out....
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- Brexit sparks uncertainty for UK food - comment
- New food waste standard will help monitor progress
- How to win in Australian gluten-free cereal
- How local model protects Nestle - interview
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Brexit - UK food trade body issues warning
- Brexit - Europe's food makers call result "a blow"
- Brexit - Irish food export agency sounds warning
- German dairy group DMK names Ingo Mueller new CEO
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights