UK: Asda sees "constructive" talks after Welsh Country Foods boycott call
Asda has insisted that talks with worker representatives at Welsh Country Foods have been "constructive" after the workforce called on consumers to boycott the supermarket operator this weekend.
Welsh Country Foods, the lamb processing unit of Vion Foods, said that it could be forced to close its Angelsey facility after the loss of a contract to supply Asda.
According to the group, Asda accounts for around 50% of the site's business. Around 350 jobs would be lost if the facility is closed.
Unite union members gathered outside Asda supermarkets in Llangenfi, Bangor and Holyhead on Saturday (26 January) to call for a boycott of the retailer.
Responding to the protests, a spokesperson for Asda told just-food that the group is "considering" the union's position.
"We had a constructive meeting with Welsh Country Foods," the spokesperson said. "We listened to their representations to which we will give full and thorough consideration and respond in due course."
Bernard Matthews Farms has admitted it may look for outside investment and 2 Sisters Food Group is reportedly considering a bid for the business. Industry watchers believe the UK food giant is the pri...
Karro Food Group is proposing to cut slaughter and butchery operations at its Wiveliscombe facility in Somerset, putting 113 jobs at risk....
Irish food processor ABP Food Group has revealed an investment plan for premium sausage brand Debbie & Andrew's to include additional product lines and a new advertising campaign....
UK cooked and frozen meat products manufacturer Snowbird Foods is to be sold in a management buy-out....
- How Danone aims to meet its 2020 objectives
- Greencore's food-to-go focus paying dividends
- Interview: Ritter sees growth potential in US, EU
- Will Belvita win at breakfast in China? - analysis
- Interview: How American Halal rides ethical wave
- Pinnacle to buy Boulder Brands in $975m deal
- Genius Foods buys UK gluten-free firm Chapel Foods
- Nestle combats Thai seafood supply forced labour
- Greencore profits lifted by on-the-go food focus
- Nestle to sell Jamaican dairy unit