UK: Asda sees "constructive" talks after Welsh Country Foods boycott call
Asda has insisted that talks with worker representatives at Welsh Country Foods have been "constructive" after the workforce called on consumers to boycott the supermarket operator this weekend.
Welsh Country Foods, the lamb processing unit of Vion Foods, said that it could be forced to close its Angelsey facility after the loss of a contract to supply Asda.
According to the group, Asda accounts for around 50% of the site's business. Around 350 jobs would be lost if the facility is closed.
Unite union members gathered outside Asda supermarkets in Llangenfi, Bangor and Holyhead on Saturday (26 January) to call for a boycott of the retailer.
Responding to the protests, a spokesperson for Asda told just-food that the group is "considering" the union's position.
"We had a constructive meeting with Welsh Country Foods," the spokesperson said. "We listened to their representations to which we will give full and thorough consideration and respond in due course."
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Bernard Matthews Farms has admitted it may look for outside investment and 2 Sisters Food Group is reportedly considering a bid for the business. Industry watchers believe the UK food giant is the pri...
Karro Food Group is proposing to cut slaughter and butchery operations at its Wiveliscombe facility in Somerset, putting 113 jobs at risk....
Irish food processor ABP Food Group has revealed an investment plan for premium sausage brand Debbie & Andrew's to include additional product lines and a new advertising campaign....
- USDA's GMO move may block mandatory labels
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- just-food's pick: Products on show at SIAL China
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- Kerry adds to Mattessons' adult snacking range
- Premier Foods sees FY profits fall
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- Mondelez to cut jobs at Chicago site
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details