UK: Asda sees "constructive" talks after Welsh Country Foods boycott call
Asda has insisted that talks with worker representatives at Welsh Country Foods have been "constructive" after the workforce called on consumers to boycott the supermarket operator this weekend.
Welsh Country Foods, the lamb processing unit of Vion Foods, said that it could be forced to close its Angelsey facility after the loss of a contract to supply Asda.
According to the group, Asda accounts for around 50% of the site's business. Around 350 jobs would be lost if the facility is closed.
Unite union members gathered outside Asda supermarkets in Llangenfi, Bangor and Holyhead on Saturday (26 January) to call for a boycott of the retailer.
Responding to the protests, a spokesperson for Asda told just-food that the group is "considering" the union's position.
"We had a constructive meeting with Welsh Country Foods," the spokesperson said. "We listened to their representations to which we will give full and thorough consideration and respond in due course."
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Bernard Matthews Farms has admitted it may look for outside investment and 2 Sisters Food Group is reportedly considering a bid for the business. Industry watchers believe the UK food giant is the pri...
Karro Food Group is proposing to cut slaughter and butchery operations at its Wiveliscombe facility in Somerset, putting 113 jobs at risk....
Irish food processor ABP Food Group has revealed an investment plan for premium sausage brand Debbie & Andrew's to include additional product lines and a new advertising campaign....
- Focus: Why ABF is making bread better-for-you
- Why China was central to Nestle executive change
- Comment: How dairy can leverage nutrition
- Comment: Act now to cut antibiotics in meat
- PepsiCo underlines the challenge on health
- Russia "likely to extend food embargo"
- Oreo, gum propels Mondelez in China
- Kerry benefits from snacking trends
- First Milk to cut jobs, milk prices
- Fonterra warns on geopolitical unrest, oversupply
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Global Seasonings, Dressings & Sauces Market: Merger and Acquisitions February 2015
- North America Food & Beverage Stabilizers and Systems Market – Analysis and Forecast upto 2019
- Arla Foods amba - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Food and beverage packaging today – what’s next?