GREECE/EU: Athens fights EU on farmer payments
Greece has appealed at the European Court of Justice (ECJ) against a European Commission order that it return almost EUR425m of EU subsidies.
The money had been given to farmers in 2008-9 by the then conservative New Democracy government as compensation for crop damages incurred in 2008. However, the European Commission has condemned the move as an illegal state subsidy and has demanded the money be recouped.
The Greek government told just-food it is hopeful it will win the case. Konstantinos Zogas, director of the Greek ministry of rural development, said: "When talking about court battle nothing is certain [but] legal counsel suggests Athens has a good chance."
Former New Democracy agriculture minister Sotiris Hatzigakis was confident the Court will exonerate Greece and claims a 2009 EU Council of Ministers decision allowed member states to support farmers as they saw fit because 2008-2009 had been particularly hard for agriculture. "Greece will not have to pay back a single Euro," he predicted.
Arla Foods revealed 250 jobs could be cut as it drives efficiency and tries to keep pace with its international competitors - and admitted more could be made. The race to buy frozen food giant Iglo Gr...
The European Commission, after six years of work, has published a list of 222 health claims that can be made on food labels and advertising when products are sold in the EU....
UK sugar trader ED&F Man has agreed to offload its interest in a refinery in Italy to secure EU clearance for the sale of a stake in its business to German giant Südzucker....
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Foodservice focus - all-day breakfast; concept NPD
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis