FINLAND: Atria ends loss-making 2013 with Q4 profit rise
Finnish meat group Atria has reported a loss of EUR4m (US$5.5m) for 2013 but closed the year with a fourth-quarter profit increase amid lower costs.
Atria posted a loss of EUR4.3m for last year linked to costs associated with its withdrawal from Russia, which the company flagged when it reported its third-quarter numbers in November.
The company has stopped primary pork production in Russia and decided to discontinue industrial production in Moscow.
However, for the three months to the end of December, net profit was EUR9.2m, compared to profit of EUR5.2m a year earlier. EBIT was EUR10.6m, versus EUR7.8m in the fourth quarter of 2012.
The increase in quarterly earnings came despite sales remaining flat at EUR360.6m. Lower sales and marketing costs helped Atria's profitability.
Over 2013 as a whole, Atria generated EBIT of EUR19.7m, against EUR30.2m in 2012. Without one-off costs, EBIT was EUR37m, Atria said. Net sales were up 5% at EUR1.41bn.
In 2014, Atria expects EBIT without "non-recurring costs" and net sales to be higher than 2013.
Atria Suomi is one of the leading Finnish packaged food manufacturers, both in terms of the retail market and foodservice sales. Although in general terms the level of competition is increasing, Atria...
Finnish food processing company Atria’s vision is to be a leading enterprise in meat processing and meal solutions, in both Finland and elsewhere in the Baltic Sea region. In Swedish consumer foodserv...
The quality trend has had an impact on street stalls/kiosks, although the impact is so far small in terms of value sales and transactions. Still, this reflects a trend that could have a long term impa...
Chilled processed food is expected to reach sales of €1.2 billion and 121,000 tonnes in 2013, representing growth of 2% in volume and 5% in current value terms. Sales will be driven in 2013 by new con...
Ready meals sales are expected to reach €575 million and 80,000 tonnes in 2013 after growing by 2% in volume and 5% in current value terms. Ready meals benefitted from the convenience trend as Finns l...
- BRICs and beyond: Fonterra, Beingmate partnership
- On the money: Mengniu hones in on "star" brands
- Comment: Competition to rise on whey investments
- just-food interview: Agropur CEO Robert Coallier
- Consuming issues: The hunger-obesity paradox
- Valio lactose-free trucks stopped at Russia border
- Heinz halves sugar in ketchup launch
- H1 profits down at dairy group FrieslandCampina
- Bisco Misr says Kellogg eyeing majority stake
- Valio targets China with EUR70m whey inve
- China - ISA Country Report
- New Strategies for offering Convenience in Food - targeting new occasions, best practice and new solutions
- Other Dairy in Russia
- David Chapman's Ice Cream Ltd in Packaged Food (Canada)
- Global Food and Grocery Retailing, 2013-2018: Market Dynamics, Retail Trends and Competitive Landscape