FRANCE/HK: Auchan plans merger with Rt-Mart - report
French retail group Auchan is to merge with Rt-Mart, the supermarket retail investment of Hong Kong-based Ruentex Group, according to reports.
It is understood the two may launch an IPO in Hong Kong in 2010, China Retail News reported yesterday (19 October).
However, it is believes the two parties are still in negotiation. If they reach an agreement, their cooperation will be limited to the Chinese mainland market and will exclude Taiwan.
Rt-Mart will reportedly maintain its expansion rate in 2009 and open 14 new stores before the end of the year.
Earlier this month Auchan took its primary steps into the Middle East with the opening of its first store in Dubai.
The operation is a joint venture with Dubai World subsidiary Nakheel and Auchan, who will operate together under the HyperCorp banner, with the aim of expanding across the Gulf.
When contacted by just-food, Auchan neither confirmed or denied the reports.
Buying online is a fledgling but growing practice, although shoppers in some markets have taken to the Internet more readily than others. France, for instance, has been slower off the block than the U...
French retail giant Auchan today (17 February) admitted that sales at its domestic hypermarkets fell by almost 2% during 2009....
Sabeco, a subsidiary of French retail giant Auchan, is to buy five supermarkets in Spain from fellow grocer Eroski....
Loyalty program provider Groupe Aeroplan is launching the Nectar loyalty scheme in Italy, in collaboration with various retailers, including Auchan....
Carrefour has remained silent on reports that it has failed to find a single buyer for its Russian hypermarket chain....
Systeme-U has today (27 January) claimed it is the fourth-largest food retailer in France after posting a 3.3% rise in revenue in 2009....
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- Mondelez goes beyond certified cocoa - analysis
- ABF on Brexit, M&A and grocery - interview
- Nestle unveils process to cut sugar by 40%
- Japan's Nagatanien buys Chaucer Food Group
- Unilever focuses on "value" of spreads arm
- B&G acquires pasta sauce group Victoria Fine Foods
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp