TUNISIA: Auchan secures stake in Société Magasin Général
French retail giant Auchan has entered the Tunisian market with the acquisition of a 10% stake in local retailer Société Magasin Général (SMG).
The agreement, signed at the end of October, will involve Auchan providing technical assistance to the Tunisian store operator. The retailer said the deal also provides it with "high potential" for expansion in North Africa and confirms its willingness to "expand internationally in partnership with local players".
For SMG, the deal gives the group access to "know-how" and will enable it to accelerate its store development, Auchan said.
SMG operates around 57 outlets in the country under the banners MG, Magro and Batam.
"Through this partnership, SMG intends to accelerate its position in the local market and contribute to the development of Tunisia," the French retailer said in a statement.
The deal is subject to regulatory approval.
Facing challenging conditions for hypermarket operators in France and other Western European markets, Auchan is battling to improve its price image while maintaining profits, while internet retailers ...
Chinese hypermarket operator Sun Art Retail Group, the local venture of French retailer Auchan, has recorded an increase in profits for its full-year....
- Analysis: Is Heinz, Kraft merger "a growth story"?
- The challenges awaiting ConAgra's new CEO
- Focus: Can Mars gain share in Indian chocolate?
- M&A Watch: Who could be on 3G Capital's radar?
- The challenge of digital marketing and ROI
- UPDATE: Heinz, Kraft strike merger agreement
- Fatal explosion at French desserts firm Senagral
- Infographic: Heinz, Kraft unveil combined business
- Buffett: Kraft Heinz to withstand health focus
- ConAgra confirms another private-label charge