TUNISIA: Auchan secures stake in Société Magasin Général
French retail giant Auchan has entered the Tunisian market with the acquisition of a 10% stake in local retailer Société Magasin Général (SMG).
The agreement, signed at the end of October, will involve Auchan providing technical assistance to the Tunisian store operator. The retailer said the deal also provides it with "high potential" for expansion in North Africa and confirms its willingness to "expand internationally in partnership with local players".
For SMG, the deal gives the group access to "know-how" and will enable it to accelerate its store development, Auchan said.
SMG operates around 57 outlets in the country under the banners MG, Magro and Batam.
"Through this partnership, SMG intends to accelerate its position in the local market and contribute to the development of Tunisia," the French retailer said in a statement.
The deal is subject to regulatory approval.
Facing challenging conditions for hypermarket operators in France and other Western European markets, Auchan is battling to improve its price image while maintaining profits, while internet retailers ...
The report provides a review of M&As, capital-raising, partnering deals, and agreements entered into by retail companies during November 2012. Introduction and Landscape Why was the report written? U...
- On the move: What's in store from Tesco's new CEO?
- On the money: Steady as she goes at Cloetta
- Focus: Lindt plays safe with Russell Stover buy
- Interview: Bell hits out at German cartel ruling
- On the money: Can Premier build H2 sales momentum?
- UPDATE: Premier establishes international unit
- Campbell issues warning on 2014/15 fiscal year
- Premier launches Oxo pots range in UK
- Genius secures listings in French supermarkets
- Universal Robina to buy biscuit firm Griffin's