TUNISIA: Auchan secures stake in Société Magasin Général
French retail giant Auchan has entered the Tunisian market with the acquisition of a 10% stake in local retailer Société Magasin Général (SMG).
The agreement, signed at the end of October, will involve Auchan providing technical assistance to the Tunisian store operator. The retailer said the deal also provides it with "high potential" for expansion in North Africa and confirms its willingness to "expand internationally in partnership with local players".
For SMG, the deal gives the group access to "know-how" and will enable it to accelerate its store development, Auchan said.
SMG operates around 57 outlets in the country under the banners MG, Magro and Batam.
"Through this partnership, SMG intends to accelerate its position in the local market and contribute to the development of Tunisia," the French retailer said in a statement.
The deal is subject to regulatory approval.
Chinese hypermarket operator Sun Art Retail Group, the local venture of French retailer Auchan, has recorded an increase in profits for its full-year....
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- New food waste standard will help monitor progress
- Brexit sparks uncertainty for UK food - comment
- Kellogg uses Kashi to finally join party - comment
- Tyrrells' growth plans - CEO interview, part two
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Post, ConAgra 'held talks' over Lamb Weston merger
- German dairy group DMK names Ingo Mueller new CEO
- Brexit - UK food trade body issues warning
- Europe's food firms slam French origin labels plan
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights