FRANCE: Auchan to shed 300 jobs in staffing revamp
Auchan looks to improve customer service by putting more staff on the floor and cutting management positions
Auchan has confirmed it will cut 300 jobs at its hypermarkets in France by 2017 as part of moves to shake up the way it staffs its stores.
Speaking to just-food today (3 February), a spokesperson for the French retailer said the company wanted to bolster the number of staff on the shop floor. Auchan plans to create a further 500 front-of-house postions across the 120 sites in France but reduce the number of management positions by about 800 by the end of 2016.
"We've created a new section in the store called commercial employees. This position carries greater responsibility regarding selling products, commercial strategy, detailing on product offer and optimisation of customer needs," the spokesperson said.
"Our manager roles will change a bit to focus more on employee management and commercial policies. They will have more responsibility, but be able to spend more time on tasks where they can bring added value. The role will be focused on leading commercial strategy and employee management which is very important for staff development."
"Giving more responsibility to floor staff is a strategy of the company to allow more opportunities to serve the customers. They are in the face of the customer and well placed to see and understand the customer's needs," said the spokesperson.
"It is important to add that when we talk of the fall of 800 management positions across three years, that's a number of departures that would be expected based on natural turnover here. We will not force anyone to leave - there are plans in place to offer other suitable roles within the company," he concluded.
Auchan, meanwhile, plans to open up three hypermarkets and 12 Auchan Drive click-and-collect locations by 2017, which could result in a further 1,500 jobs created.
Auchan Polska Sp zoo wishes to focus its operational strategy on offering the lowest possible prices, providing customers with broad product assortment and the highest quality customer service. With r...
The key directions for Auchan development in France are introduction of more Drive stores and the development of Auchan’s convenience stores – A2pas. This is due to a predicted decline of hypermarkets...
After the successful integration of numerous hypermarkets formerly operated under the Cora banner during 2013, Auchan has been able to strengthen its position through entering into partnerships with l...
Auchan Hypermarket Ukraine introduced a new concept for Ukraine, the so-called “discounter hypermarket”. This format provides the lowest prices in the entire range of these stores. It goal is to impro...
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- Global factors hold sway over UK milk prices
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Food industry news of week: Unilever, PepsiCo
- Chobani launches Tots infant range
- Premier Foods hails "improving" sales trends
- PepsiCo rolls out "sweet" Cheetos
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report