UK: Authentic Food Co eyes Scandinavia entry
The Authentic Food Co currently supplies to Iceland, Asda, Morrisons and the Co-op in the UK
The Authentic Food Co has said it will look to enter Scandinavia in the future after securing contracts with UK retailer Asda and several leading European retailers.
The company this week announced an investment of GBP2m (US$3.1m) to increasing production capacity on the back of securing the European contracts.
A spokesperson for the firm, which currently supplies to Iceland, Asda, Morrisons and the Co-op in the UK, told just-food today (9 August) it has now secured contracts with wholesalers across Germany and Switzerland. It is also conducting trials with some major supermarkets in Europe, but declined to name the groups.
The spokesperson said the next likely areas for future growth would be Scandinavia, but insisted that at the present time, the company is just concentrating on the countries it currently operates in.
The Authentic Food Co said it has grown its sales from GBP28m in 2008 to GBP36m in 2011.
The investment the company announced earlier this week will be spent on "improving factory efficiencies across both sites and new equipment. This includes new state of the art freezing technology, new cooking vessels and an extension to the warehouse to facilitate all of the business growth," the spokesperson added.
As our understanding of the horse meat contamination scandal develops the number of food products drawn in is likely to expand, raising some fundamental questions about the security of our food supply...
UK retailer Asda has confirmed that it is removing additional beef burger products from sale after horse meat was found in storage at one of its suppliers, Freeza Meats....
UK grocery retailers are reportedly circling former HMV stores, which were put on the block after the music retailer went into administration last month....
- Mondelez results and outlook - 7 things to learn
- Comment: Hain Celestial cognisant of US challenges
- Why Lactalis swooped for Romanian dairy Albalact
- What should you learn from 2015 olive oil prices?
- Can Yildiz's new snacks unit match its ambitions?
- Mondelez continues to see margins up, sales mixed
- Hain Celestial lifted by international, protein
- China eyes further infant formula restrictions
- Coca-Cola to invest in Nigerian dairy group Chi
- Unilever launches eggless Hellmann's mayo in US