FRANCE: Aventis puts brakes on StarLink corn production
French pharmaceutical and agricultural company Aventis has responded to the US debacle surrounding Kraft's taco shells by halting the sales of its genetically modified corn, the first move of its kind among biotechnology firms. Seeds of the StarLink corn it engineered will not be sold to the US until the government has agreed that it is safe for human consumption.Last Friday (22 September) witnessed Kraft Foods embark on an embarrassing recall of millions of taco shells from US supermarkets, after independent laboratory tests confirmed the suspicions of an anti-biotechnology pressure group who believed that consumers may be buying food that contained GM corn not approved for human consumption. Federal regulators are still unsure how the illegal mix-up occurred at the mill used to process the taco shells, and other food products, and Aventis stressed that its decision hoped to reassure consumers that StarLink would not reach the food chain. Rick Rountree, spokesman for Aventis, commented that the decision was made because: "It isn't in our interest to sell corn seed if it is causing confusion."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Farmers' groups slam Danone over non-GMO stance
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review