USA: Avian flu leads to mass cull in Virginia
Some 4.7 million chickens and turkeys have been slaughtered in Virginia following an outbreak of avian influenza (bird flu).
The outbreak prompted culls at 194 farms, the state agriculture department said.
Bird flu is a virus that reduces the growth of birds and slows their egg production. Although it is not dangerous to humans, it can very quickly be spread to neighbouring farms and flocks.
Various countries and other US states have imposed a ban on poultry and derived products from Virginia following the outbreak. In April, for example, the Japanese subsidiary of McDonald's pulled chicken products from its menu, including the popular Chicken McNuggets, as supplies dwindled.
The agriculture department in Virginia has stressed that it is winning the battle against the disease, with the number of new cases falling in recent days.
People are getting richer. That means they are going to be eating more meat, milk and eggs. And according to speaker after speaker at a recent international conference on the grains sector, that's gre...
Indonesia is to slaughter all chickens on farms hit by bird flu in an effort to halt the spread of the virus, the country's agriculture minister said today (Thursday), according to the Guardian newspa...
The key international organisations fighting bird flu have agreed a global strategy preventing the disease spreading worldwide and jumping species to humans....
The Philippines has discovered its first cases of bird flu with infected ducks being found in a town north of the capital, Manila, according to the BBC....
Malaysian poultry products are free of the avian influenza, according to internationally specified rules and codes, and countries should resume their imports without any hesitation, a government minis...
China denied it encouraged farmers to use a drug meant for humans to stop the spread of bird flu in poultry which could render the medicine useless, but said it would investigate, the AFP news agency ...
The first human case of bird flu was identified in Indonesia after a poultry worker tested positive this month, a World Health Organisation (WHO) official said todau (Thursday), reports the Reuters ne...
China's ministry of agriculture today (Thursday) confirmed a bird flu outbreak in the Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, saying the situation was under control, the Xinhua news agency reported....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review