UK/NETHERLANDS: Avondale expands in Europe with Hema contract win
Avondale Foods, a UK salad-to-snacks group, is making its first move into continental Europe having secured a listing with Netherlands discounter Hema.
The Northern Ireland-based firm has struck a deal to supply Hema with garlic butter dough balls. Avondale secured the listing with the support of Invest NI.
"Our garlic dough balls, one of the most popular chilled bread products with a high-end retailer in Britain, attracted Hema's interest and they placed a contract with us," head of sales Philip Conway revealed. "We've begun to supply the product and are now working closely with the Invest NI team to expand sales with Hema and other major retailers."
Conway said that the company aims to build a "strong base" in Europe and believes it can leverage its presence in the Netherlands to act as a "springboard" to neighbouring regions such as Belgium, Germany and Denmark.
- On the move: What's in store from Tesco's new CEO?
- On the money: Steady as she goes at Cloetta
- Focus: Lindt plays safe with Russell Stover buy
- The bitesize interview - The Kids Food Co.
- Interview: Bell hits out at German cartel ruling
- Campbell issues warning on 2014/15 fiscal year
- UPDATE: Premier establishes international unit
- Premier launches Oxo pots range in UK
- Universal Robina to buy biscuit firm Griffin's
- Genius secures listings in French supermarkets