UK: Awareness of Fairtrade symbol rises to 70%
Some 70% of the UK population now recognise the Fairtrade Mark, up from 57% last year, according to research commissioned by the Fairtrade Foundation.
The survey, conducted by TNS CAPI OmniBus, also showed more UK consumers understood the concept behind the Mark, with 64% of the population linking it to a better deal for producers in the developing world.
"This means the message of Fairtrade is getting through," the Fairtrade Foundation said in a statement.
The research also found that one in four UK consumers now regularly buy Fairtrade goods.
"This research shows that the balance of public opinion is tipping in favour of Fairtrade where fairtrade is seen as an integral part of a sustainable global future," Harriet Lamb, executive director of the Fairtrade Foundation, said.
"The challenge is now set for UK business to make more Fairtrade products available," she added.
Sectors: Sustainability & the environment
The premium chocolate market has grown significantly in recent years and a new report from just-food forecasts that this growth will continue, in spite of the economic downturn. Ben Cooper reports....
The UK's Ethical Trading Initiative (ETI) marked its tenth birthday last week with a major conference in London. A multi-stakeholder initiative aimed at improving labour standards in supply chains, ET...
Food companies use fairtrade certification schemes as a sales tool rather than a way to help producers and workers, Trade Union director Frédéric Honegger told just-food on the fringes of food industr...
UK sweet spreads brand, Rowse, has introduced a Belgian chocolate and hazelnut spread to its line up....
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Why May's Brexit comments give reason for optimism
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- Bernard Matthews pensions scheme under review
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report