UK: Awareness of Fairtrade symbol rises to 70%
Some 70% of the UK population now recognise the Fairtrade Mark, up from 57% last year, according to research commissioned by the Fairtrade Foundation.
The survey, conducted by TNS CAPI OmniBus, also showed more UK consumers understood the concept behind the Mark, with 64% of the population linking it to a better deal for producers in the developing world.
"This means the message of Fairtrade is getting through," the Fairtrade Foundation said in a statement.
The research also found that one in four UK consumers now regularly buy Fairtrade goods.
"This research shows that the balance of public opinion is tipping in favour of Fairtrade where fairtrade is seen as an integral part of a sustainable global future," Harriet Lamb, executive director of the Fairtrade Foundation, said.
"The challenge is now set for UK business to make more Fairtrade products available," she added.
Sectors: Sustainability & the environment
The premium chocolate market has grown significantly in recent years and a new report from just-food forecasts that this growth will continue, in spite of the economic downturn. Ben Cooper reports....
The UK's Ethical Trading Initiative (ETI) marked its tenth birthday last week with a major conference in London. A multi-stakeholder initiative aimed at improving labour standards in supply chains, ET...
Food companies use fairtrade certification schemes as a sales tool rather than a way to help producers and workers, Trade Union director Frédéric Honegger told just-food on the fringes of food industr...
UK sweet spreads brand, Rowse, has introduced a Belgian chocolate and hazelnut spread to its line up....
- Focus: Why ABF is making bread better-for-you
- Why China was central to Nestle executive change
- just the answer: Gardein founder Yves Potvin
- Comment: How dairy can leverage nutrition
- Analysis: Quality, innovation driving Chinese milk
- Kellogg CEO: sales trends are improving
- Oreo, gum propels Mondelez in China
- Finsbury buys Johnstone's Just Desserts
- General Mills cuts Yoplait sugar by 25%
- Dean Foods brings milk brands under single label
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Global Seasonings, Dressings & Sauces Market: Merger and Acquisitions February 2015
- Food and beverage packaging today – what’s next?
- Consumer and Market Insights: Confectionery Market in the UK
- North America Food & Beverage Stabilizers and Systems Market – Analysis and Forecast upto 2019