SWEDEN: Axfood in the spotlight as retail competition probe gets underway
As European retailers continue to expand northwards and eastwards in their quest for growth, the spotlight has fallen on Sweden, where the retail sector is currently the subject of a competition investigation. Some 90% of the Swedish food retail sector is currently controlled by just three players - Axfood, Coop and market leader ICA, a federation of retailers now owned 50% by Dutch giant Ahold, reports Reuters. Axfood is a key player in this virtual triarchy, and has seen its share price rocket nearly 150% in the last year, making it one of the strongest climbers on the Stockholm Stock Exchange.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Danone's Q1: four things to learn
- Who will buy Danone's Stonyfield business?
- Column: Why snacking is the new meal
- Nestle Q1 update: four things to learn
- Opinion: Big Food needs to think radically
- Nestle to cut UK confectionery jobs
- PepsiCo affirms full-year target as Q1 hits mark
- Tyson shops Sara Lee bakery, Kettle and Van's
- Glanbia signs deal on Dairy Ireland stake sale
- Tyson to buy burger-to-entree firm AdvancePierre