SWEDEN: Axfood in the spotlight as retail competition probe gets underway
As European retailers continue to expand northwards and eastwards in their quest for growth, the spotlight has fallen on Sweden, where the retail sector is currently the subject of a competition investigation. Some 90% of the Swedish food retail sector is currently controlled by just three players - Axfood, Coop and market leader ICA, a federation of retailers now owned 50% by Dutch giant Ahold, reports Reuters. Axfood is a key player in this virtual triarchy, and has seen its share price rocket nearly 150% in the last year, making it one of the strongest climbers on the Stockholm Stock Exchange.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- Mondelez goes beyond certified cocoa - analysis
- What Premier CEO Gavin Darby thinks about Brexit
- How Tyson's new CEO plans to grow the meat group
- Nestle unveils process to cut sugar by 40%
- Putin 'wants embargo to run as long as possible'
- Unilever sets new margin target with help from ZBB
- Unilever focuses on "value" of spreads arm
- McCormick to buy flavours business Enrico Giotti