US: Bain Capital affiliate Sankaty buys kosher food firm Manischewitz
Sankaty Advisors, an affiliate of US private-equity group Bain Capital, has taken over local kosher food group The Manischewitz Co.
The two companies announced Sankaty had made a "strategic investment" in Manischewitz after a deal with owners that included investment firm Harbinger Capital Partners.
They did not specify the nature of the transaction. A source familiar with the situation said Sankaty had "basically bought the company". Financial details were not disclosed.
Manischewitz, founded in 1888, would be able to "continue its storied tradition of producing the highest-quality kosher products". Yaakov Horowitz, head rabbi at Manischewitz, said.
Sankaty is not the first private-equity investor at Manischewitz. Descendants of the company's founders sold the company to Kohlberg & Co. in 1990. In 2008, Harbinger invested in the business, then known as RAB Food Group. It changed its name back to The Manischewitz Co. later in the year.
"Manischewitz has earned a position as one of the most highly-recognised brands in the world," Sankaty said. "We believe Manischewitz is well positioned to grow due to rising mainstream interest in kosher foods."
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Greek crisis: The impact on shopper behaviour
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Hearthside to buy nutrition bar maker VSI
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- Probiotic Ingredients Market by Function, Application, End Use, Ingredient, and by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020