UK: Baker Bright Blue to close Manchester plant
Bright Blue Foods wants bakery "centres of excellence"
UK-based own-label baker Bright Blue Foods is to close its plant in Manchester in a bid to have a more "effective" production network.
The company, the renamed former private-label cake business of McCambridge Group, said it wants to build "bakery manufacturing centres of excellence".
Production at the Manchester site, which employs 60 staff, will move to its bakery in Shadsworth in Blackburn and a second site in Poland.
Bright Blue, owned by NBGI Private Equity, said the move would see it cut 57 jobs.
Chief executive Andrew Johnson said: "Bright Blue Foods has reviewed its operational strategy for the next few years. A major objective of the review has been to decide how we make the most effective use of our factory footprint to best meet the future requirements of customers. One of our key objectives is that, for our chosen product sectors, we create industry-leading manufacturing centres of excellence in our most suitable facilities."
Johnson said the products made in Manchester would "benefit from being transferred into alternative modern facilities where the infrastructure, manufacturing capabilities and product flows have been designed to meet the current and future requirements of our customers".
The closure will leave Bright Blue with three UK sites, in Bradford, Blackburn and Salisbury, plus a fourth in the Polish town of Szczecin.
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Gen Mills uses NPD, renovation to heat soup sales
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities