US: Baker Flowers Foods cuts FY earnings forecast
- Lowers FY EPS forecast
- Capex to increase
- Q1 profits down, sales up
Flowers Food's revised guidance contained an increase in capital expenditure
US baker Flowers Foods has cut its forecast for full-year earnings after a bond issue pushed up the company's interest charges.
The company said yesterday (24 May) it expects its adjusted earnings per share in 2012 to increase by 3.5% to 8% on last year's $0.96. In February, Flowers set a forecast for growth of 7% to 12%. However, Flowers said the new forecast did not include any "future acquisitions".
Last month, the company issued $400m of notes to pay long-term debt and set aside funds for future deals.
Flowers' revised guidance also contained an increase in capital expenditure. It now expects to spend $75-85m, including the recently-announced expansion of a bakery in Pennsylvania. Its previous forecast was $65-75m.
The group, which manufactures brands including Tastykake and Nature's Own, also reported a drop in first-quarter profits. Input costs, including ingredients and packaging, offset a rise in sales.
Net income fell 8% to $37.9m. EBIT decreased 3.7% to $59.2m. However, sales were up 12% at $898.2m thanks to last year's acquisition of Tasty Baking Co. Nevertheless, Flowers managed to increase volumes by 1.7%.
"While input costs presented headwinds in the first quarter, we were relatively pleased with our results," chairman and CEO George Deese said.
Click here for the full statement.
US baker Flowers Foods has reported a slight lift in third-quarter earnings, which were boosted by "solid" sales gains....
Hershey and baker Flowers Foods have teamed up to develop cakes for Hallowe'en in the US....
- USDA's GMO move may block mandatory labels
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- just-food's pick: Products on show at SIAL China
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- Kerry adds to Mattessons' adult snacking range
- Premier Foods sees FY profits fall
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- JBS "seeking M&A" in Americas, Australia
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details