UK: Bakkavor sells French, Spanish units to Agrial
Bakkavor announced its plans to sell the businesses earlier this month
Bakkavor said today (23 November) it has reached a formal agreement with Agrial, Société Cooperative Agricole et Agro-alimentaire, a leading European food co-operative for the sale of its French and Spanish produce businesses for a debt-free cash sum of EUR33m (US$42.6m).
Agrial, which owns the Florette salad brand, has snapped up assets including French businesses Cinquième Saison Saint-Pol, Cinquième Saison Mâcon, and Bakkavör France and Spanish firms Sogesol and Crudi.
"The sale of our French and Spanish businesses marks an important step in our strategy of reshaping our portfolio to focus on our core fresh prepared markets," said CEO Agust Gudmundsson. "The transaction will be beneficial from a leverage perspective and net proceeds will be used to reduce our term loan."
Bakkavor announced its plans to sell the businesses earlier this month. Speaking to just-food at the time, a spokesperson for Bakkavor would not explain in detail the rationale for the sale. However, he said: "This proposed sale should be seen within the context of Bakkavor focussing strategically on its core businesses."
Completion of the transaction is subject to competition authority clearance, which is expected by the end of the first quarter of 2013.
All employees of the businesses are expected to transfer over to Agrial with the operations.
Chilled foods supplier Bakkavor has closed its plant in Canada just two years after the opening of the site marked the UK-based firm's entry into the country's grocery market....
French dairy group Candia has named former Bakkavor and Bonduelle executive Giampaolo Schiratti as its new CEO....
- Nestle on China, candy, nutrition - analysis
- England child obesity plan should cheer industry
- What lies ahead for Tyrrells and Amplify?
- Hain accounting issue rounds off problem year
- Future trends in natural food to go mainstream
- Lotus Bakeries enjoys growth organically, via M&A
- Smucker cuts forecast as sales decline
- Unite outlines 2 Sisters stance on UK pizza site
- Mondelez buys rest of Vietnam snacks business
- Arla Foods to help Nigeria's dairy development