US: Bankers hawk Sara Lee's meat business
Investment banks are approaching rivals of Sara Lee, including Smithfield Foods, to see what interest there is in its US meats business, which is set to be spun off from the main group later this year.
Speaking on the company's third-quarter results call this week, Smithfield CFO Bo Manly told analysts he "can't go more than three days at a time" without being approached by a major New York bank or investment bank wanting to represent the company in a Sara Lee acquisition.
"I don't think necessarily we'll have to go to the table. I think the table will come to us," he said.
Sara Lee expects to spin off its international coffee and tea business this year and relocate it to the Netherlands. The headquarters of its new North American meat company will be based in Chicago.
Manly said Smithfield would be interested in the business, which owns brands such as Jimmy Dean breakfast sausages and Ball Park hot dogs, adding: "Everybody will look at it. We will too".
He said the acquisition would bolster Smithfield's weak position in the breakfast sausage market, but admitted there would be strong competition, noting: "There are many people out there that might have a greater interest in it than we do."
However, Manly said the business would be "compatible" and does "fit in the brand portfolio" of Smithfield.
Smithfield Foods CEO Larry Pope has insisted the US meat will produce "another year of solid earnings" despite lower quarterly profits....
Hillshire Brands has added a Lemon Pound Cake to its Sara Lee brand, as well as making the label's signature Butter Pound Cake more moist....
Private-equity firm Wind Point Partners has snapped up US snacks group Shearer's Foods in a takeover backed by former Sara Lee executive C.J. Fraleigh....
- Focus: The impact of Heinz's stevia ketchup
- Focus: Gen Mills turns to M&A to bolster US ops
- Viewpoint: US health food in play - at a price
- Comment: Kingsmill "youth" appeal bodes well
- BRICs: How dairy deal bolsters Lactalis and BRF
- Burton's "eyeing" United Biscuits merger
- Glanbia to buy US sports nutrition firm Isopure
- Premier Foods revamp creates three divisions
- Arla joins race for Egypt's Arab Dairy
- Unilever to boost presence in Nigeria